Neymar returns! Brazil superstar earns dramatic World Cup recall after nearly three years

Neymar returns! Brazil superstar earns dramatic World Cup recall after nearly three years


Neymar returns! Brazil superstar earns dramatic World Cup recall after nearly three years
Brazil’s Neymar (AP /PTI)

Brazil have brought Neymar back into their World Cup plans, with the veteran forward earning a dramatic recall to the national squad nearly three years after his last appearance for the Seleção. Coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed the 34-year-old’s inclusion while announcing Brazil’s 26-man squad at a gala event in Rio de Janeiro on Monday. The announcement sparked loud cheers from the crowd as Neymar’s name was read out, underlining the excitement around his return. Neymar, Brazil’s all-time top scorer with 79 goals in 128 international matches, had not played for the national team since suffering a serious knee injury during a World Cup qualifier against Uruguay in 2023. Questions over whether the former FC Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain F.C. star would return to the international setup had persisted for months. Injury setbacks and inconsistent form had kept him out of contention, and Ancelotti himself had previously left Neymar out of Brazil’s March friendlies against France and Croatia because of concerns surrounding his fitness. However, Neymar’s move back to boyhood club Santos FC earlier this year appears to have helped him regain the confidence of the Brazil coaching staff. “We monitored Neymar throughout the year and observed that, in recent times, he has been playing consistently and his physical condition has improved,” Ancelotti said. “We believe he is an important player.” Despite the recall, Neymar’s struggles with injuries have continued since rejoining Santos. He has managed only 15 appearances across 31 matches since returning to the Brazilian side in 2026. The experienced attacker now prepares for what could be his fourth World Cup campaign after previously representing Brazil in the 2014, 2018 and 2022 tournaments. Brazil, chasing a record-extending sixth World Cup title, will begin their campaign in the United States, Canada and Mexico against Morocco on June 13 before facing Haiti and Scotland in Group C. Neymar’s return also strengthens an already dangerous Brazilian attack featuring Raphinha and Vinícius Júnior. Ancelotti, meanwhile, stressed that mental toughness rather than perfection would decide the tournament. “The World Cup won’t be won by a perfect team — because a perfect team doesn’t exist,” he said. “It will be won by the most resilient team.”



Source link

onlinechhattisgarh.com Avatar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Online Chhattisgarh

Online Chhattisgarh, the premier platform for government news in Chhattisgarh, delivers accurate and transparent coverage from local to state levels. Our dedicated team ensures timely updates on policies, initiatives, and reforms, fostering informed citizenship. Committed to journalistic integrity, we promote transparency, accountability, and civic engagement for a thriving democracy